Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Choosing Objectives

Hello everyone,
Two NETS objectives I would like to focus on include:

Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity

and

Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments


I find that these two NETS objectives are closely related. The way we assess our students may factor into the way they think about learning. I'd like to develop assessments that are learning experiences in themselves, and shift students from focusing on grades as "rewards" -- to create assessments that function as guides for students on where they might revisit material--what they might want to explore further--to develop assessments that function as opportunities to learn while being assessed. Project-oriented activities may offer a possible route to meeting this objective. When students create authentic projects, they are learning so much--not just about content, but about working together, negotiating differences, planning and executing, and the value of perseverance.

When students shift their focus from thinking about their instructional experience as a task to get done and out of the way, and instead see it as something enriching that they can make a personal connection to I find that they tap into their natural creativity and curiosity. I want students to enjoy what they do. I hope they will see learning as a part of life--rather than as something that takes place in a school room for a given number of hours. I hope to model that learning is a lifelong process.

I want to instill in students the confidence to take cognitive risks--because we learn from those risks--those mistakes we may make. I want them to see that any progress no matter how seemingly minor, is a step in the direction they want to go.

I plan to tweak existing lessons to make them more learner-centered--to enhance the areas of the lesson where students are active and making decisions. I will reflect on what is most engaging and why. Sometimes I'm sure an activity will be much loved, only to learn students are apathetic about it. Careful reflection can help me fine tune activities to make them more effective.

I hope to be able to tap into students' own interests and tie them to content. There are so many ways to learn about a content area--finding the way that maps to the student's particular interests and learning styles will help me to ensure that all of my students are engaged.

I look forward to others' thoughts and ideas.

--Susan

4 comments:

  1. In our kindergarten classes we often have discussions about our "risk-takers" in reading - those students who will try to sound out the words without hesitation - or writing - who spell out words phonetically. These are the students that excell in the class because they seem to crave and enjoy the learning process. This is so exciting to me, I wish all the students were such risk takers. I think the implementation of all the new technologies will greatly enhance this learning for all students and perhaps those students who were not risk takers will become risk takers. That is my hope, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,

    I agree that when teachers shift from a teacher center classroom to a student center one it forces students to take responsibility for their own learning. This is so crucial because it allows students the opportunity to think critically,creatively, independently and collaboratively which increases student achievement. I have found that when I create activities such as inquiry based problem projects where students can use their knowledge, skills, ability, and various means of technology to demonstrate their mastery of concepts student become immerse in the lesson. I am constantly seeking lessons that are going to challenge my students to become expert researchers on concepts that are difficult in class. I am finding that my role as a teacher is also shifting to that of a facilitator. When I integrate various kinds of technology into my curriculum, I am giving students the opportunity to explore new devices and software those skills will prepare them to compete with students globally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynn,
    Thanks for replying to my blog. Yes--I think technology can scaffold risk taking--in reading, hyperlinks might offer help with decoding or comprehension--and the online sites like StarFall may foster self-directedness as it offers a great deal of support.

    Risk taking leads to discovery--even if students discover misconceptions, they have learned something new.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hazel,
    Thank you for posting to my blog. Like you, I find myself stepping into the role of facilitator more and more in my teaching. As I step back, my students are pushed forward into my self-directed roles--they take on more problem solving--rather than wait for my help they take a more active role.

    Web-based research tools like Google empower students to get answers to their questions--and offer their own answers as well.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete